As the 2018 summer and moving, seasons come to a hurried end, those who are movie might be feeling a little overwhelmed. Whether you are selling your old home to build your dream home, up or downsizing, or buying for the very first time; there are a few things that you can do to feel more in control and less frazzled so that you may enjoy the home buying experience. Here are a few tips to ease your stress levels.
Take a Deep Breath
Before you begin the arduous process of packing up everything you own to move it to your new location, stop and take a HUGE breath and enjoy the excitement of the moment. This is a big life change and you shouldn’t miss the enjoyment just because there is a lot to be done.
Make a Plan of Attack
The easiest way to stay on track of the ever-multiplying list of things that need to be done when moving is to make a list of everything that needs to be done leaving room for modifications and prioritize these tasks. Doing this at the beginning of the move and updating the list as new items come in will keep you on track and focused. This list needs to include not only move-related tasks but also everyday tasks so that life doesn’t begin to spiral out of control while you tend to your move. A few of the moving tasks besides the obvious, that you will want to include in your moving plan are:
- Change of Address Cards
- Cancelation of Trash Services, Utilities, and Delivery Services
- Transition Internet and Cable Services
- Turn on Utilities and Services at New Location
These are basic items that often get overlooked until the last minute or forgotten about entirely until they are needed.
Packing is one of the most overwhelming aspects of moving. Approaching packing in a methodical and organized manner will minimize stress and increase productivity. Start by:
- Working on One Room at a Time – Deciding what to pack first is often the hardest step to moving. Start with the least used room and work your way up to the rooms that are used most frequently. This prevents packing up items that you may still need to use while packing.
- Work from One Corner to the Next – This keeps you on track and allows you to witness your progress as you work as well as provides space to stack filled boxes.
- One Level at a Time – If you have multiple levels, work one floor at a time starting with the least used areas.
Packing and Labeling
To make sure everything arrives at the new location in one piece and is easily locatable, label all 4 sides of each box or container with which room it goes into and any contents that you may definitely be looking for when you first start unpacking. On the top list everything in the box. This makes it easier when you get to your new home to locate those items that might easily be misplaced.
Moving, in general, is a stressful and exhausting task. But, with a little pre-planning and organization, it can be the happy, exciting experience that everyone hopes for. And, don’t forget that Browning Park Mini Storage is always here to help you with your moving and storage needs.